We've always been creative creatures. From the friendship bracelets of our childhood to the card-making we've featured here before. Over the Christmas break we decided to make our own monogram mugs. We've seen the Anthropologie initial mugs circulating on Pinterest, but seeing as we can't get our hands on them here in Australia, we thought why not make a DIY project of it?!
We loved the way our mugs turned out so much, that we have decided to show you how you can personalise your mugs, with another one of our designs.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Permanent Marker
In this post we have used ordinary permanent markers, but some people suggest that oil-based markers adhere to the mugs more effectively. As long as you stick to gentle handwashing, we have found that your basic permanent marker works just fine. Also, note that we started our design a little way down the cup. While the markers may be "non-toxic" we thought that it would be best to minimise the risk of ingesting it, just in case!
- White Vinegar
- Cotton Bud
READY, SET, DIY!
- Clean your mug with vinegar. This will get rid of any oil so that the marker will adhere to the mug more effectively.
- Shade in the back of your design with a lead pencil.
- Position your design onto your mug and trace over your design (use sticky tape to keep it in place so that it doesn't budge when you're working).
- Remove the design print out. You will notice that the lead pencil would have transferred and left an outline of your design on your mug.
- Go over the lead pencil with a permanent marker and leave for 12-24 hours for the ink to dry.
- Fill your mug up about 1/3 of the way with tap water, and microwave for 3 minutes, and then another 2 minutes.
Warning: Once microwaving is complete, leave the microwave door open a little to allow the cup to gradually cool. This will prevent the cup from cracking and also your fingers from burning!
Do you like DIY posts? If you want more arty and crafty ideas, make sure you follow us on GFC, Bloglovin', Twitter and Instagram. If you decide to recreate these mugs, please tweet or send us a picture, we'd love to see them all!
♥ M + K